Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, has insisted that President Muhammadu Buhari’s wife, Aisha, was mentioned in the Halliburton fraud case, despite the United States Government clearing her name » .
Fayose had last week alleged that Mrs Buhari was wanted in the United States and that, “there was a judgment against the wife of the President, where she wired $170,000 to Jefferson that was convicted in the Halliburton scandal. If she wants to deny that, we will publish it in the newspapers.”
He said this shortly after the Economic Financial Crimes Commission froze his Zenith Bank accounts over allegations of fraud.
In reaction to the allegation, Aisha Buhari, had in a letter dated June 22, threatened to take a legal action against Fayose unless he retracted his statement within five days.
But Fayose stood his ground, affirming that the statement made regarding her alleged involvement in the scandal was “correct and justified in law.”
He stated in a letter to the President’s wife, through his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Wednesday, July 13.
The letter read: “Our client has referred to us your letter dated 22nd June, 2016, on alleged defamation of the character of your client, Her Excellency, Mrs. Aisha Buhari, the wife of Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, with firm instructions to reply to and reject same in its entirety.
“Our client states and reaffirms categorically that the statement he made as regards the involvement of Mrs. Aisha Buhari, the wife of President Buhari, in the Halliburton scandal, is correct and justified in law, having regards to a court judgment convicting one Mr. William Jefferson for bribery in the Halliburton case.
“Therein, the name of the President’s wife featured conspicuously. At page 22 of the said judgment delivered by the United State District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, Alexandria Division, USA, in criminal case No 1: 07CR209, the said Mr. William Jefferson was sentenced at 9.00 am on November 13, 2009, by Mark D. Lytle. Your client, Mrs. Aisha Buhari, was specifically mentioned in the judgment.”
Pulse recalls that the acting Public Affairs Officer, United States Consulate General, Lagos, Frank Sellin , had said the US had no information to provide on the matter.